15 April to 30 July, 2019 (Summer Term)
Kirchliche Hochschule Wuppertal/Bethel (Protestant University Wuppertal/Bethel)
Objective: To create an international and intercultural learning group that equips its participants with intercultural and inter-religious skills and experiences.
This program is going to be an experiment: Nine students of theology, three each from Africa, Asia and Germany, live and learn together at the Protestant University Wuppertal/Bethel (Kirchliche Hochschule Wuppertal/Bethel), accompanied by the United Evangelical Mission (UEM). They will attend lectures and seminars, meet regularly to reflect what they have learned, and attend some programs outside of the university together. They live as a community in a student hostel directly on campus, accompanied by UEM staff. Excursions to church and inter-religious projects in and around Wuppertal will round out the program. At the end of the term, the group will attend the UEM Summer School on conflict mediation.
Who can participate?
Theological students from UEM member churches enrolled in a Masters or Doctoral program (deutsche Studierende: Magister oder Pfarramtsstudiengang) in a recognized theological faculty who are interested in acquiring an international perspective and intercultural skills. It will be ensured that the group is gender balanced. Proficiency in English is a prerequisite.
What will it cost?
Students from Africa and Asia will receive full scholarships from UEM covering room, board, insurance, study fees, transport and pocket money. UEM will also take care of their international travel. Their home churches are asked to cover national travel cost as well as the cost of visa and preparation.
Students from Germany will get a partial scholarship of 200 Euros per month.
How to apply?
You need to submit
- an application letter,
- a CV,
- an endorsement from your church,
- a recommendation from one of your professors,
- an essay of 1,000 words dealing with a topic of your particular interest under the theme of the program.
Please send them, preferably in one pdf document, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than 1 December 2018. Participants will be chosen from among the applicants by a committee of representatives from UEM and Kirchliche Hochschule.
Study program during the term:
- Seminar: The church as an intercultural and international community in a pluralistic context (2 hours per week, 4 credit points)
- Tutorial: New Testament (2 hours per week, 2 credit points)
- Tutorial: Protestant Denominations after the Reformation (2 hours per week, 2 creditpoints)
- Tutorial: Human Becoming reflected by Social Anthropology in Dialogue withTheology (2 hours per week, 2 credit points)
- Seminar: Intercultural theology (2 hours per week, 3 credit points)
- Block seminar: Diaconia (one weekend, 2 credit points)Excursions:
Kirchentag Dortmund, 19.-23.6.2019
Further excursions will be arranged according to the wishes of the participants.
15 April: Arrival in Germany
16-18 April: Orientation
19-22 April: Easter break: Celebrate with a German family
23 April: Summer term begins, Every Wednesday afternoon: Group reflection meeting
19-23 June: Excursion to Kirchentag
15-27 July: Participation in UEM Summer School on Conflict Mediation
29 July: Evaluation
30 July: Departures
Please contact Rev. Dr. Claudia Währisch-Oblau (email@example.com), Rev. Dr. Andar Parlindungan (firstname.lastname@example.org), or Prof. Dr. Henning Wrogemann (email@example.com).